Why is 9ct yellow gold referred to as 'DF'?

Why is 9ct yellow gold referred to as 'DF'?

Have you ever heard of 9ct yellow solid gold being referred to as 'DF'? I'm ashamed to admit that I as a jeweller who makes solid recyled gold jewellery daily I had never heard of this until I saw it on a label the other day.

It made me wonder what it meant and here's what I found:

In reference to 9ct yellow gold, "DF" stands for "Denatured Fine." It is a hallmark or stamp that signifies the gold has been alloyed with other metals to achieve a certain quality and colour, but remains of a fine standard. Here’s a more detailed breakdown:

  1. Denatured: This term indicates that the gold is not in its pure form. 9ct gold is an alloy made up of 37.5% pure gold, with the remaining 62.5% consisting of other metals such as copper and silver. This combination not only strengthens the gold but also affects its colour.
  2. Fine: Despite being an alloy, the gold used still meets the required standards for quality. "Fine" in this context refers to the overall high quality of the metal, even though it is not pure gold.

Therefore, "DF" helps consumers and jewellers quickly understand the composition and quality of the gold piece. It ensures transparency about the metal's content, providing confidence in its durability and value.

So next time you buy handmade solid yellow gold jewellery you'll know this term if it comes up in conversation or paperwork.

Everyday I learn new information about making jewellery despite my years of experience!

If you have an idea for a ring, necklace or earrings handmade from solid recycled 9ct yellow 'DF' gold then please just get in touch:



Back to blog

Leave a comment

Please note, comments need to be approved by SEH before they are published.